Shaun of the dead (2004)
synopsis: Shaun is in his 30’s and currently in a minor crisis, he works at a electronics store and lives in the outskirts of London with his best friend Ed, His girlfriend is getting sick of doing the same things all the time e.g Winchester pub and had enough of Shaun not taking any responsibility and his lack of ambition and responsibility. When the town they live in is over ran with zombies he feels it is his duty to protect Liz and his mother.
- pastiche: Taking features out of day of the dead (“we’re coming to get you Barbera”)
- Hybrid genre (horror and Rom-com)
- Mainstream: targeting a large audience
I like the idea how Simon peg and Nick frost have taken features from other films such as day of the dead and included it in shaun of the dead (pastiche). I would like to include pastiche features within my film I just need to find a film that has similar characteristis to mine.
Memento consists of two separate stories of Leonard life, Leonard is an ex-insurance investigator who has a condition which is that he has short term memory loss, he forgets anything that has happened in the last couple minutes and before, as he attempts to find the murderer of his wife, which is the last thing he remembers. One story line moves forward in time while the other tells the story backwards revealing more each time.
- black humour: when leonard is running away when being chased he says ‘I don’t remember if i am the one being chased or I am the one chasing him, this is black humour as it turns a serious matter into a joke.
- Temporal distortion: fragmented narrative, within Memento the time is distorted, the skips to one part of the film then to something else but the more you watch the more it makes sense and the more you see how it all links up.
- hypereality: Leonard chooses the simulation over reality at the end or rather the beginning that Leonard had already killed john g (person who killed his wife) over a year ago but can not remember when it was due to his poor memory condition.
Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
In the 1930’s, the Grand Budapest Hotel is a European ski resort ran by concierge M. Gustave. the lobby boy, Zero becomes Gustave’s friend and protege. Gustave is proud for providing first-class service to the hotel’s guests, as well as satisfying the sexual needs of the many elderly women who stay there. When one of Gustave’s regular guest/ friend dies mysteriously, Gustave finds himself in her will to inherit a priceless painting but is also the chief suspect in her murder.
- Paranoia: The story consists of the characters creating chaos because of their struggle to follow the social system.
- Pastiche: exaggerates the paranoia within the film
- Simulacra: a ‘fantasy land’, a simulation and withholds historical events and landmarks
I am going to be using paranoia in my film as Felix (main character) will be freaking out more and more as the days go by. and i will also be using simulacra. this is because Felix will be in a world of his own of technology (in a fantasyland).